Wednesday 28 March 2007

What is Emerging Church?




When I started coming across references to "Emerging Church" and "Alternative Worship", both these phrases were new to me. Having buried my head in an evangelical anglican church in a London suburb for many years, I had little idea what other styles of worship there were "out there".

After many hours internet searching and blog reading no one definition of either could be found that would satisfy most people. What became clear to me was the refreshing combination of the use of multimedia and rediscovery of silence, ritual and reflection was what I needed to bring back to our congregation who had lost some of the awe of a great God who requires our worship.

Here are a collection of suggested definitions that I found helpful.

Emerging Church a Beginners Guide : from EmergingChurchInf.com

What is 'emerging church : Introduction from open source theology

The Emerging Church
: An article by D. A. Carson fromModern Reformation Magazine

Five Streams of the Emerging Church : An article from Christianity Today Magazine

Wikipedia : Alternative Worship

Alternative Worship is "what happens when people create worship for themselves," according to Steve Collins

No comments: